Extra Time
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manchester United FC vs. Chelsea FC

+7
Cammy
Porkchop_Pryde
Latino_Heat
nobby
Duzza
DeJesus5
Bel
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Manchester United FC vs. Chelsea FC Empty Manchester United FC vs. Chelsea FC

Post by Bel Tue May 20, 2008 11:00 pm

Manchester United FC vs. Chelsea FC 2dgp01v VS Manchester United FC vs. Chelsea FC 9a72hj

May 21st at 7:45pm BST (2:45pm EST)

Stadium:
Manchester United FC vs. Chelsea FC 30i7qz4

Preview (taken from fox sports - seeing as none of us really has the time to prep a better preview):

On Wednesday evening, Manchester United and Chelsea meet in the first ever all-English Champions League/European Cup final (Spurs met Wolves in the UEFA Cup in 1972).

These two teams know each other like you know members of your family. They know how to throw a party and they also know how to push each other's buttons as well as how to stop each other from playing the beautiful game.
If ever a match needed an early goal this is the one — pray for it because on paper this could be the tightest final since the all-Italian final between Juventus and AC Milan — if you can recall that match you'll know that 120 minutes in a dentist chair getting a root canal would be the more pleasant experience.

Look, who am I kidding — these are the two best sides in Europe and if they 'go for it' we'll never forget Moscow 2008. So who is going to win?

GOALKEEPERS

Forget your Ronaldo's, Drogba's, Rooney's and Ballack's — the single most important player on either team may have nothing to do for 89 minutes and then either win or lose the match in one instant — the goalkeepers.

Edwin van Der Sar / Man Utd (age 37)
33 League and Cup matches plus 10 Champions League contests equals 25 clean sheets with 24 goals conceded.

Petr Cech / Chelsea (age 25)
30 League and Cup matches plus 9 Champions League contests equals 22 clean sheets with 25 goals conceded.

Both players are technically excellent so there is very little to choose from in that department, however at this level the game in goal is played between the ears.

A few seasons ago Cech would've been the automatic choice as the goalkeeper to make a difference but since his skull injury in October of 2006 he's not been the same. Granted, he's still one of the world's best and was a monster in the semifinal versus Liverpool but the air of 'unbeatability' no longer surrounds him.

Van der Sar has more big match experience than almost any goalkeeper in world football. Like a fine wine he's improved with age and with Champions League finals, European and World Cup semifinals on his resume he'll not make the mistake that costs his team dearly.

Advantage: Manchester United

DEFENDERS

Both teams have their three guaranteed starters with one 'floater' and it could be that 'floater' that makes the difference. Defensively each side is rock solid and is the foundation that they build their games on.

Chelsea
John Terry, Ricardo Carvalho, Ashley Cole and either Paulo Ferreira or Michael Essien.

Manchester United
Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic, Patrice Evra and either Wes Brown or Owen Hargreaves.

From 2005 to 2006 Terry and Carvalho were the dominant center back pairing in the Premiership — from 2007 to 2008 they handed that crown to Ferdinand and Vidic. Injuries have been the story of all four players this season as they've all been in the wars for one reason or another. All four players are a danger from set pieces.

The Chelsea duo has had the worst of it but that will not play a huge factor. United do not play with a traditional big man up front so positioning and the ability to read the game are the most important qualities for Terry and Carvalho. As long as they keep the game in front of them both men are sensational, brilliant in the air, brave as lions and incredibly consistent. If they get dragged around though it could get interesting.

Ferdinand and Vidic are remarkably similar to their foes however their brief is different because the Blues possess a powerful weapon at the head of their spear ... Didier Drogba. The Ivorian is so strong that a double team will be needed on occasions and it's how they cover one another that will be the key. The one noticeable difference for my money is pace and I believe that the United pair has the edge.

At left full back Patrice Evra and Ashley Cole are perhaps the best in the business although the nod goes to Evra who has shown more attacking verve this campaign. That's not a knock on Cole who I'm sure has been instructed to sit back but he doesn't seem to have the same presence he demonstrated at Arsenal.

The right back 'floater' is the x-factor in these back lines. Ferreira is the most natural full back, while Hargreaves and Brown are the more versatile but none of them compare to the beast that is Michael Essien. This is perhaps the only man on either club who can run and impact the match from any position. Avram Grant should play him in the middle of the park but that won't happen unless Chelsea are chasing the game.

Advantage: A tie because of Essien

MIDFIELDERS

The big fear for neutrals is that this is the area where both teams will cancel each other out. World-class players not only have the tools to win matches but they also have the ability to stop the others from playing their natural games.

Ferguson will look to Cristiano Ronaldo, Paul Scholes, Michael Carrick and Ji-Sung Park. Ronaldo needs no explanation, the only question being whether he'll actually show up in the big game — pressure can affect nearly everyone, except the true greats — this is his chance to join the immortals and it doesn't happen that often. Carrick will keep United ticking over while Park will run his socks off. Scholes, who many rate as one of United's best ever players, is the key. His passing is immaculate, his shooting deadly, but his tackling atrocious — he must stay on the pitch and not get into yellow card problems, which could stifle his game.

Avram Grant should not fix what isn't broken (other than put Essien in midfield). In this case he'll go with the four that beat Liverpool, which means the best china will be served in the form of Claude Makelele. Unless you understand football, you'll never see the value of Makelele because he doesn't appear to do anything other than get in the way and play five-yard passes — simplicity is genius. Joe Cole, Frank Lampard and Michael Ballack will join the Frenchman. Cole has enjoyed perhaps his best season ever as a professional and has the unpredictability to unsettle the best. Lampard will give you nothing but 100% while Ballack has been Europe's best player over the last 6 weeks, overshadowing even Ronaldo in his consistency and timely big goals.

Advantage: Chelsea

FORWARDS

The hardest thing to do in football looks the simplest — kick the ball into the back of the net. Like I stated, goalkeepers can win or lose you matches but strikers have to give them the opportunity to be the unsung hero.

If either Wayne Rooney or Carlos Tevez starts on the bench I'll be stunned. They've shown over the course of the campaign that they can play beautifully with each other. Both players can single-handedly win matches on their own but more importantly they're the first line of defense — I've never seen a front two work harder on the other side of the ball.

For the Blues it is Didier Drogba and probably Salomon Kalou. The Ivorian will be the key in conceivably his last Chelsea match. Having interviewed him, I can attest to the fact that he exudes strength and power. We won't know the condition of his knee until game time but if it's 100% expect him to terrorize Ferdinand and Vidic. As for Kalou, I'm surprised that he hasn't gelled more successfully with his countryman — don't be shocked if he's the first player subbed.

BENCH

Ferguson has already had a gripe about the 8-substitute rule stating that he should be able to dress his entire squad and replace three as they do in World and European Championships. I can see his point because not only does it give you more options but you don't have any players moping around the hotel.

Looking at the United bench against Barcelona in the semifinals, the Scotsman could turn around and look at the following: Tomas Kuszczack, Anderson, Darren Fletcher, Ryan Giggs, John O'Shea and Danny Welbeck — they'll be joined by Nani on Wednesday night. In all honesty, it doesn't feel that impressive.

Avram Grant can call upon an embarrassment of attacking riches with the following talent left riding the pine versus Liverpool in the last round: Nicolas Anelka, Andrei Shevchenko, Carlo Cudicini, John Obi Mikel, Alex, Florent Malouda.

Advantage: Chelsea

MANAGERS

The great football fallacy is that once the players cross the white line, managers become impotent — maybe that was the case in the old days but with five substitutes to choose from the 'Gaffer' has the ability to influence matches with timely changes. Tactically, neither manager is a genius in the Benitez/Lippi school of European tactics so motivation and the ability to communicate with players is massive.

I've teased Avram Grant before about his silverware collection — to say it's not impressive is a gross understatement, however he has claimed a number of match-winning decisions in the last few months. His blunders far outweigh any success though.

Sir Alex Ferguson will admit that two European trophies in twenty years is a disappointing haul but when it comes to domestic gongs he has no peers. At times it seemed that the game in Europe had passed him by but his zest for football remains as strong as ever. He can also call upon the unwavering loyalty of his team.

Ultimately the question I would ask of both men is, "Do your players respect you?" The answer is self-evident and should be the deciding factor.

If there is one thing I can't stand about pundits it's those that sit on the fence and now I can see why — it's so uncomfortable with a stake smashing into your bottom. I've sat staring out of the window for an hour now going through the teams and what I think will happen. A tight, tactical game that crawls towards extra time and penalties screams at me — hopefully, like most of my predictions, I'm wrong.

Until then, I'll see you at the far post and the European Championships.

Source:
http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/8156294/Man-United-and-Chelsea-square-off-for-Europe's-top-prize

Come on United.
Bel
Bel

Number of posts : 163
Favourite Players : Giggs, Scholes, Evra, Rio, Vidic, VDS, Brown, Tevez, Rooney, Ronaldo.
Supports : MUFC | Portugal.
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Back to top Go down

Manchester United FC vs. Chelsea FC Empty Re: Manchester United FC vs. Chelsea FC

Post by DeJesus5 Tue May 20, 2008 11:21 pm

Canne wait for this game. Just a day away!!

COME ON UNITED!!

Will be such a good game and I can see us being very cautious from the start, although I think that is what has lost us the games against these big sides. We need to play the match just like it would be any other oppisition. Use the 4-4-2 we always use and attack them.
DeJesus5
DeJesus5
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 453
Favourite Players : Adu, Benzema, Ronaldo7, Rio, Kaká, Messi
Supports : Benfica & Man Utd

https://extratime.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Manchester United FC vs. Chelsea FC Empty Re: Manchester United FC vs. Chelsea FC

Post by Duzza Wed May 21, 2008 12:09 am

i think chelsea will be out for revenge... hopefully it'll be a great game, 2-1 chelsea..
Duzza
Duzza

Number of posts : 124

Back to top Go down

Post by nobby Wed May 21, 2008 12:44 am

United are winning this. 50 years since the Munich Air Disaster! What a tribute that would be..
nobby
nobby
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 262
Supports : Man United & Benfica

https://extratime.forumakers.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Latino_Heat Wed May 21, 2008 6:07 am

hopefully ManU can pull this one off, i cannot/could never stand Chelsea. Laughing
also, Ronaldo would have another title under his belt Smile

goodluck guys. should be a great one either way.

btw, will Terry make this game for Chelsea? last i heard about him is that he broke his arm or somethin like that
Latino_Heat
Latino_Heat

Number of posts : 155
Favourite Players : C.Ronaldo, Simao, Moutinho, Nani, Aguero, Coentrao, Ronaldinho, Di Maria
Supports : Portugal NT, SL Benfica, Atletico Madrid, Toronto FC
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Porkchop_Pryde Wed May 21, 2008 8:27 am

Awesome to see Carvalho and Ferreira vs Nani and Ronaldo Very Happy either way Porkchops are going to win the CL which is good to see but Carvalho and Ferreira have one already and Ronaldo and Nani don't so personally I want it to go to them!
Porkchop_Pryde
Porkchop_Pryde

Number of posts : 54
Favourite Players : Rui Costa, Eusebio, Quaresma, Simao, Nelson, Fernandes, Nani
Supports : S.L. Benfica, Belenenses, Guimereas, Braga, Man United,
Registration date : 2008-05-20

http://www.airtightdance.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammy Wed May 21, 2008 3:37 pm

I can see this going only one way, Man United's, Chelsea dont have the attack needed to beat united. They will play with one up front who will fall over in the 1st 5mins without a doubt and will b marked heavily by rio and vidic (if he plays). United have alot of width and will stretch Chelsea and if cole dont play Ronaldo will run riot as cole seems to be able to stop ronaldo and has done on serveral occasions. Also Drogba wants out of Chelsea so weather he will put 100% in is a diff matter. There are only 2 ppl i can see who have a chance of stopping united winning, Cech who one his game and even some of the time off his game he is possibly best goalie in world and Essien, i can see him scoring a long range effort and beating VDS.

Prediction 2-1 United - Vidic/Rio scoring 1st then Essien, followed by Ronaldo or Rooney
Cammy
Cammy

Number of posts : 14
Favourite Players : Berbatov, Keane, Gerrard, Kaka, Messi, KLINSMANN
Supports : Tottenham

Back to top Go down

Post by DeJesus5 Wed May 21, 2008 4:20 pm

On the Cole not....Anyone seen the challenge from Maka's on Cole...not much to say but....OUCH!

Vid of tackle
DeJesus5
DeJesus5
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by georgeh Wed May 21, 2008 7:16 pm

Cammy wrote:I can see this going only one way, Man United's, Chelsea dont have the attack needed to beat united. They will play with one up front who will fall over in the 1st 5mins without a doubt and will b marked heavily by rio and vidic (if he plays). United have alot of width and will stretch Chelsea and if cole dont play Ronaldo will run riot as cole seems to be able to stop ronaldo and has done on serveral occasions. Also Drogba wants out of Chelsea so weather he will put 100% in is a diff matter. There are only 2 ppl i can see who have a chance of stopping united winning, Cech who one his game and even some of the time off his game he is possibly best goalie in world and Essien, i can see him scoring a long range effort and beating VDS.

Prediction 2-1 United - Vidic/Rio scoring 1st then Essien, followed by Ronaldo or Rooney

A LOT OF PREDICTIONS HERE! MUST GET MYSELF A CRYSTAL BALL TOO!
georgeh
georgeh

Number of posts : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammy Wed May 21, 2008 7:24 pm

You should, My crystal ball is a good piece of equipment. It also says somethin along the lines of Cetic losing tomoz and Rangers clinch the title, thought u mite wanna know
Cammy
Cammy

Number of posts : 14
Favourite Players : Berbatov, Keane, Gerrard, Kaka, Messi, KLINSMANN
Supports : Tottenham

Back to top Go down

Post by DeJesus5 Thu May 22, 2008 1:50 am

OMG!! What a game!! Defo not what i expected!!

When Ronaldo missed that pen thought it was all over. Then Terry the goon missed and oh my, jumping for joy moment...haha...Then Anderson and Giggs put there pens away. Finally VDS stopped Anelka's pen and won it for us. WOOOOOHOOOOO!!

celebrate clap

UNITED UNITED!!
DeJesus5
DeJesus5
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Latino_Heat Thu May 22, 2008 2:00 am

congrats ManU and ManU supporters clap
great season for you guys, theres no doubt about that

on a little offtopic note- Its nice to see Ronaldo came out big by scoring a golo in this final. Im really hoping he can bring the form to EuroCup
Latino_Heat
Latino_Heat

Favourite Players : C.Ronaldo, Simao, Moutinho, Nani, Aguero, Coentrao, Ronaldinho, Di Maria

Back to top Go down

Post by DeJesus5 Thu May 22, 2008 2:09 am

Yeh I was very happy when he scored. He really needed this game to be a big one just to prove the critics wrong. He had a good game I thought. Didn't do too much on the ball and passed it when it was right.
DeJesus5
DeJesus5
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nobby Thu May 22, 2008 2:19 am

I can't say much more than

CHAMPIONES, CHAMPIONES,CHAMPIONES,CHAMPIONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IM SOOO HAPPY! WHAT A GAME OF FOOTBALL!
nobby
nobby
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 262
Supports : Man United & Benfica

https://extratime.forumakers.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Latino_Heat Thu May 22, 2008 2:37 am

i love this pic Laughing

Manchester United FC vs. Chelsea FC 699345_biglandscape
Latino_Heat
Latino_Heat

Back to top Go down

Post by DeJesus5 Thu May 22, 2008 2:57 am

Manchester United FC vs. Chelsea FC Px8oeu7mhzdw3zq85h1l

worship Laughing
DeJesus5
DeJesus5
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bel Thu May 22, 2008 3:47 am

Glory. Glory. Man. United.
Bel
Bel

Favourite Players : Giggs, Scholes, Evra, Rio, Vidic, VDS, Brown, Tevez, Rooney, Ronaldo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Porkchop_Pryde Thu May 22, 2008 4:05 am

Manchester United THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE

Ronaldo will for sure win the Best Player in the World award Now!

He has won everything except A Euro and WOrld Cup lets add those to the list Very Happy
Porkchop_Pryde
Porkchop_Pryde

Favourite Players : Rui Costa, Eusebio, Quaresma, Simao, Nelson, Fernandes, Nani

Back to top Go down

Post by Latino_Heat Thu May 22, 2008 4:08 am

man, if Portugal wins Euro this year..this will be an amazing season of futebol for Ronaldo. winnin personal awards, epl trophies, CL just today, and perhaps....... Wink

otay, i'll stop, i dont wanna jinx anythin
Latino_Heat
Latino_Heat

Back to top Go down

Post by Porkchop_Pryde Thu May 22, 2008 4:11 am

I Wish Carvalho and Ferreira played for Manchester UNited and now Bosingwa is going there too errr I want them on Man U atleast I like Man U I hate chelsea but want the best for Carvalho!

Manchester United FC vs. Chelsea FC Capt.09ead08c53c14b9bb7d061b51bdd5c13.russia_soccer_champions_league_final_luz150
Porkchop_Pryde
Porkchop_Pryde

Back to top Go down

Post by Bel Thu May 22, 2008 4:25 am

I will be perfectly honest with you guys. I don't feel bad at all for Carvalho. If I'm not bias, I say he's a good enough player. Horrible attitude and he needs to learn how to shut his mouth because he says the dumbest things to the press. But he can be solid (although he got skinned today by Rooney, which I was very happy about).

If I'm bias, I say he's a wanker. Don't like him at all.
Bel
Bel

Back to top Go down

Post by DeJesus5 Thu May 22, 2008 12:50 pm

Overall he had a quality game. Alot of my english mates think that Carvalho is a better CB than Terry, and tbh I agree, he reads the game so well, may not be the biggest lad but wins the header's. Shame he plays for Chelsea Sad
DeJesus5
DeJesus5
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Porkchop_Pryde Thu May 22, 2008 7:51 pm

Oh no questions about it Carvalho > Terry imo Carvalho one of the best CB's out there!
Porkchop_Pryde
Porkchop_Pryde

Back to top Go down

Post by Latino_Heat Sat May 24, 2008 1:01 am

speaking of Carvalho's CB solidness, has Real Madrid put an offer on him yet? I heard Real wanna sign Carvalho because Cannavaro is leavin them or somethin.
Latino_Heat
Latino_Heat

Back to top Go down

Post by DeJesus5 Sat May 24, 2008 1:06 am

Yeh Cannavaro is going Napoli if i'm not mistaken. I hope he doesn't go tbh. He's fine at Chelsea and he is playing his best football at the moment, just no point in leaving.
DeJesus5
DeJesus5
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next